Abbreviation for One-Touch Exchange of Die, which is closely associated to SMED, but a more difficult concept.
Changeovers can and should take less than 100 seconds, and other references mention it is as being less than one minute.
OTED requires the following actions:
– Elimination of adjustments
– Freedom from screw fastenings
– Moving towards strength and precision
– Precis and close fits
– The functional burdens of dies vis-a-vis machines
– The separation of die material and die function
– Insertion methods
– The Least Common Multiple (LCM) method
The one-touch target simply means that the exchange can be done with a single motion, rather than multiple steps.« Back to Glossary Index